The University of Chicago Convocation
Literally a “calling together,” the University’s convocation assembles all elements of the University community: degree candidates and their families, friends, faculty, deans, officers of the university, the trustees of the university, the provost, and the president. The first convocation was celebrated in January 1893 under founding president William Rainey Harper.
The 530th Convocation will take place June 10, 2017 and will be located on the Main Quadrangle of the University of Chicago campus. This is a university-wide ceremony involving degree candidates from all divisions and schools. This ceremony will include a presentation of honorary degrees, an address from the convocation speaker, and the university president will verbally confer degrees to candidates by division and school. The ceremony will take place rain or shine.
Following the University Convocation are diploma ceremonies for each of the divisions and schools. The schedule for the day is as follows.
|7:00 a.m.||The Main Quadrangle opens to all guests. Seating is first-come, first-served.|
8:15 a.m. -
|All candidates line-up in designated areas.|
|9:00 a.m.||All guests are requested to be in their seats as the candidate procession begins.|
|9:15 a.m.||The 530th Convocation begins.|
|11:00 a.m.||The 530th Convocation ends. Candidates and guests depart for division and school ceremonies.|
|11:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Diploma ceremonies for divisions and schools occur. See the following schedule for more information.|
Diploma Ceremonies for each division and school
Please click on the appropriate link below for details pertaining to the division or school diploma ceremonies.
- Click here to view the map and schedule for all lunches and ceremonies associated with The College (all undergraduate students)
- Click here to view the map and schedule for all Graduate Divisions and School lunches and ceremonies
Details for each graduate division and school can also be found below:
- Graduate Division of Biological Sciences and Pritzker School of Medicine
- Graduate Division of the Humanities
- Graduate Division of the Institute for Molecular Engineering
- Graduate Division of the Physical Sciences
- Graduate Division of the Social Sciences
- Chicago Booth School of Business
- Divinity School
- Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies
- Harris School of Public Policy
- Law School
- School of Social Service Administration
Tickets are not required for the 530th Convocation on Saturday, June 10, though they may be required for individual division and school ceremonies.
The University Convocation ceremony will be broadcasted via the University’s website at news.uchicago.edu/webcast.