Student FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for Students

The following list provides information specifically for degree candidates.  If your question is not answered below, please email or you can also get in touch with your Division or School Dean of Student's Office.

Am I required to march in the morning ceremony?

While it is not required, it is strongly recommended that all degree candidates  participate in the morning ceremony as this is where your degree is formally conferred by the university president. 

Do I have to sit in an assigned order during the morning ceremony?

Degree candidates will line-up in a designated area with their respective division or school.  Candidates may sit in any order during the morning ceremony.  Information regarding where to line-up will be provided during Winter Quarter.

What am I supposed to wear to Convocation?

All information pertaining to what to wear to convocation can be found on the Academic Regalia page. 

What time do I need to arrive for Convocation?

All degree candidates must line up in their designated line-up location between 8:15 - 8:45 a.m. Please come dressed in your cap and gown.  To guarantee your participation in the procession, please be in line by 8:45 a.m.  Additional details can be found on the For Students page.

When should my guests arrive for Convocation?

The Main Quadrangle will open for general seating at 7:00 a.m. Guests are asked to be in their seats no later than 9:00 a.m. so they can watch the procession. Seating is first-come, first-served.  

Will I need tickets for my family and guests to attend Convocation?

Tickets are not required to attend the morning convocation ceremony and all are welcome to attend.  However, tickets may be required for the division and school diploma ceremonies.  You are encouraged to check with your respective Dean of Students office for details.

What happens if it’s raining during Convocation?

Convocation takes place outside on the Main Quadrangle and the ceremony will take place rain or shine and we recommend all guests come prepared for the weather. The university ceremony may be shortened due to inclement weather.  In the event of extreme weather, appropriate security measures are in place to ensure the safety of all students and guests.  Details will be provided on the convocation website or announced broadly at the ceremony.

What happens after the morning ceremony?

Each division and school will hold their own ceremony.  Additionally, some may also provide lunches or receptions to candidates and their guests.  Additional information can be provided by clicking on the appropriate division or school from the main Spring Quarter Convocation page.

Can my guests watch the ceremonies inside?

Guests who prefer an indoor location may view a live broadcast of the morning convocation ceremony in Kent Auditorium, which is located within the Main Quadrangle. Seating is limited. 

Can people view the ceremony online?

Yes, the University Convocation ceremony will be broadcasted via the University’s website at

Can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?

The University will digitally record a video of the ceremony as well as some school and division ceremonies. The recordings will be made viewable online approximately three weeks following the ceremony. Please check the convocation webpage the week of July 1, 2017, for more details.

How do I submit a special accommodations request for myself or my guests?

Information on how to place a request for Special Accommodations, whether for you or your guest, can be found on the Special Accommodations page.  

Candidates who need arrangements for religious or cultural reasons should contact the convocation staff.  Please email before Friday, May 26, 2017. In your message, please clearly indicate whether your needs are for the 530th Convocation on Saturday morning, your division's or school's ceremony, or both.

How do I know if I am approved to graduate?

For information on degree requirements or whether you have been approved to graduate, please refer to the Registrar's Office with your respective division or school, or you may contact the University Registrar's Office

Does the University provide invitation letters for visa applications if my family is traveling from abroad?

If the country where your family resides requires an official invitation letter from the University for a visa application, the University can provide it for you.  You may place a request from your respective division or school, or you may contact the University Registrar's Office.  The graduating student should send the email and please include your full legal name, name of the visa applicant, visa applicant's relationship to the student, and visa applicant's full mailing address.