Welcome to the University of Chicago
The full event schedule for Convocation weekend can be found on the main 531st Convocation page.
The 531st Convocation will take place June 9, 2018 and will be located on the Main Quadrangle of the University of Chicago campus. Please note that the ceremony is located outdoors and will take place rain or shine.
The Main Quadrangle will be accessible beginning at 7:00 a.m., with entry gates located on Ellis Avenue between E. 57th and E. 59th Streets. Tickets are not required for this ceremony. The main quad will be filled with 14,000 chairs and seating is first-come, first-served - we recommend early arrival for best seating.
Tickets are not required for the 531st Convocation on Saturday, June 9, though they may be required for individual division and school ceremonies. Please refer to the event listing which can be found on the main 531st Convocation page.
Guest Seating and Special Accommodations
Special Accommodations for Guests
Accessible seating is available for guests with disabilities and up to two (2) companions. This seating area is designated for individuals using wheelchairs, persons with limited mobility, and guests with visual or hearing impairments. To make arrangements, please submit your request by completing the Guest Accommodation Request Form. Requests for accommodations must be submitted by Friday, May 25, 2018. Limited seating is available, so please submit the form as soon as possible.
We do not supply wheelchairs for Convocation ceremonies. We can offer reserved seating closest to the handicap entrance for your guest.
If you have additional questions regarding special accommodations, please contact the convocation staff by emailing email@example.com before Friday, May 25, 2018. In your message, please clearly indicate whether your needs are for the 531st Convocation on Saturday morning, a division or school ceremony, or both.
Indoor Seating and Alternative Viewing
Guests who prefer an indoor location may view a live broadcast of the ceremony in Kent Auditorium, located within the Main Quadrangle. Seating is limited. The University Convocation ceremony will be broadcast via the University’s website at https://news.uchicago.edu/webcasts.
As a courtesy to candidates, families, and friends, please note the following:
- All bags are subject to inspection before entering the Main Quadrangle. Items that may disrupt other guests from seeing or hearing the ceremony are not permitted inside the Main Quadrangle.
- Refrain from smoking anywhere on the Main Quadrangle. A designated smoking area will be located near the main entrance to the Main Quadrangle, located next to the University Bookstore.
- Refrain from loud conversation during the ceremony.
- Refrain from bringing pets; service animals are permitted.
- In the event of severe weather, please check the Convocation website for up-to-date information.
- Complimentary water will be available all day at a number of stations throughout the Main Quadrangle. Guests are encouraged to bring a reusable bottle to use throughout the day.
- Large video screens will be placed throughout the Main Quadrangle to provide optimal viewing of the 531st Convocation.
- Arrangements for complimentary lunch vary by school and division and will be communicated to the candidates along with other information about Convocation.
Lost and Found
If you believe you left a personal item on campus and would like to inquire about lost and found, please email the convocation team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Items will be kept for 90 days.